Sunday, December 19, 2010

I'm... Amazed.

Me, Mel and Christine were at the China Pavilion and unsurprisingly there were people surrounding us asking whether we want to get the ticket from them with 5 yuan extra to avoid the long queue at the ticket booth. And this guy came over and said, "how much does the foreigner pay you to bring her around? She must have paid you for being her tour guide and translator."

I said no, we are friends!

He said no way! Insisting his "belief", I must have been paid!

I said no, he said yes. I said no, he said yes. WTF. I should have said YES.

This morning I went to the bank for currency exchange. Yes, my pocket is draining. I sat down at the counter and passed the teller the money. Suddenly one woman approached me with a bag, asked if I'm doing the exchange.

She said, "what about you do the exchange with me? Let's see what's the rate they offer you, I'll offer you a higher rate. Ok? Ok? Ok?"

I was stoned.

And the teller greatly told me the rate in Shanghainese dialect. I was like "huh? I don't understand."

Then the woman said, "she gives you 6.34. I'll give you 6.40. You can get few tens more. Deal?" I shook my head. She continued, "I just withdraw the money out from the bank. Don't worry." Apparently she knew the main concern is whether it's real or fake notes.

To my surprise, the teller remained silence and she was just looking at me while waiting for my decision.

I looked at the teller, "I'm dealing with you."

The woman walked away back to the waiting seat, waiting for the next target I supposed, throwing the last sentence, "you don't want? 算了."


The bank is empty, I was the only customer inside. Hellooooo where the hell is the security? Or they don't need one eventually.

Oh China. 我真是大开眼界,谢谢你!

Sent from my iPhone

No comments: